Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Great Continental Divide


The two insider questions I am most asked when I'm at (what we will call) my "day job" for the past few months are in one instance a question that every Titans fan wants to know and another that seems a bit self indulgent and not necessarily football related.

The first has been the central topic of this new blog, one to which that I've always been able to add my two cents: Who will be The Titans quarterback in 2011? It seems clear to me that The Titans will draft their QB of the future either in this draft or the next and what seems more apparent by the day is this QB will be tutored by Vince Young for at least the next few years. Those plans could change should Coach Munchak not be able to sway upper management or should The Bengals allow a trade of Palmer for Young. The jury is out but at least we have a rounder idea of how things will play out.

The second question is one that I have pondered providing insight for some time now. It is one that may jeopardize my ability to maintain my insider connections altogether: Who sided with whom in the great Vince Young / Coach Fisher divide of the past few seasons. I will pass along an adjusted portion of this information and you, The Titans fan can draw your own conclusions.

Definitely on the Fisher side of things:
Kerry Collins, who lobbied had to get the starting job back from Young.
Donnie Nickey, a Fisher favorite who had personal clashes with Young on and off the field.
Eugene Amano (and ironically his predecessor Kevin Mawae) - I guess centers just don't get along with Young.
Javon Ringer, adamant Fisher support
Marc Mariani, for obvious reasons




Those who I have seen (or heard of) expressing genuine support for Young since the Washington game;
Kenny Britt
Randy Moss
Chris Johnson
Bo Scaife
Michael Griffin
Ahmard Hall
Jared Cook
Vincent Fuller
Jason Jones
Jacob Ford
Gerald McRath
Cortland Finnegan

To say any of these players had drawn a line in opposition to either Coach Fisher or Young would be profoundly exaggerated but the lists are based off of locker room circles. This is as much as I'm willing to say on the subject but as it looks ever increasingly like Young will stay on with the team I'd say much of the divisional issue has been addressed with the departure of Coach Fisher.

Vin




No comments:

Post a Comment